Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Worthy Is the Lamb!

I've been taking violin lessons from Marie Wride the great for about 4 years now.  Two years ago, at Christmastime, she helped me, very patiently, to learn a few songs from Handel's Messiah.  I sat with the orchestra that year, mostly just listening, but occasionally playing when my piece or two come up on the program.

This year, the goal was to learn to play the whole thing.  Whew.  The whole thing.  We worked and worked and practiced and practiced and Marie never lost faith in me.  Did I learn the whole thing?  Well - yes - as long as I could play at my own speed.  But at performance tempo, I had to sit out a piece or two because it was just too fast.  But - I knew where we were during the whole score (an accomplishment for me in and of itself) and played almost every note.

It was exhilarating.  The practicing was wonderful.  The music is indescribable.  The rehearsals were challenging and delightful all at once.  On the night of the performance, I was a bit nervous, but eager.  With each piece, I gained more confidence.  When finally we played the last piece, "Worthy Is The Lamb", I was overcome with emotion.  Because I had learned this music that I thought would ever be out of reach?  Partly.     
Because Handel is musical genius?  Partly.
Mostly, because Jesus Christ, the worthy lamb, the son of God, the redeemer of my soul, has come to earth, has ransomed me, has atoned infinitely for me.  

I am in awe of The Messiah.




1 comment:

  1. Melaney - I stumbled across your blog this evening. I am humbled to claim you as one of my "students" when it is I who learn so much from you. You have been such a blessing in my life and in that of my family. I'm so glad you and Marcy picked violin all those years ago and that you picked me to join you in this musical journey.

    ReplyDelete